Other than your ride bill, there are two temporary holds you might see on your bank account: the start ride and card verification temporary holds.
Start ride temporary hold
At the start of your ride, we may put a small temporary hold (sometimes called a ‘pre-authorization hold’ or a ‘trip authorization request’) on your bank account to make sure you have enough money to pay for it.
The hold amount varies per country and per currency, but it’s generally around 2.50 EUR.* Once your ride ends, the temporary hold is then balanced out, depending on the cost of your ride:
- If your ride costs more than the hold amount, we’ll charge the remaining cost of your ride from your payment method or Dott wallet balance.
- If your ride costs less than the hold amount, we’ll refund the difference to your bank account or payment method.
- If you used a pass that covered the full ride cost, we’ll refund the entire hold amount.
Card verification temporary hold
When you link a bank card to your Dott account, we debit 1 EUR / 1 GBP / 1 NOK / 1 PLN / 1 SEK / 1 ILS from it in order to ensure it’s valid. We’ll always return this verification hold to your bank account.
When will these holds be returned to my bank account?
These holds are usually returned within a few business days, but it can take longer depending on your bank. If it doesn’t show up within a week, please contact your payment provider or bank to find out more about their return policy. If you’re still unsure or would like us to review a charge, you can contact us here, or go to “Help & contact” then “Contact us” in the app.
*Start ride temporary hold amounts per country:
- 2.50 EUR in Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Spain, and the Netherlands
- 1 EUR for bank cards or 2.50 EUR for PayPal in Italy
- 2 GBP in the UK
- 25 NOK in Norway
- 2.70 PLN in Poland
- 25 SEK in Sweden
- 8.50 ILS in Israel